Saturday, July 08, 2006

Electricity vs. community?

Yesterday was odd. It was a nice sunny day here in NC, and I was on my computer, all of a sudden, ALL power went out. It was odd because it seemed for no reason. I picked up the phone and that was out as well! this usually doesnt happen even when the electricity is down.

People started to go outside. I walked outside and was talking to different people in the apartment complex and found that the whole area had lost electricity. I walked to the traffic light and that was out. Then I went to the local grocery store to buy batterys and they had no power either, except some minimal power from their generator. I bought batterys for all the flashlights I had (I needed them).

When I came back I went for a nice walk all over a few different apartment complexes and EVERYONE and thier dogs .....and cat were out. There were like 10 people gathered togather with 5 dogs just talking! then some guy had a HUGE white furry cat on his shouldier talking to a neighbor. Some other guys were working on thier car blasting music. I could go on, but the point is EVERYONE was out and talking and doing things.

Whats interesting is this. I go for walks often and dont see much activity. Folks are glued to their computers (like me) or t.v. or whatever. It reminded me of the storys my grandfather told me about his day. You didnt have to lock your doors, people all knew eachother well, neighbors knew all neighbors. The community was very tight. If a murder happened back then, it would be HUGE news and everyone would be talking about it. Now, we yawn at 2,000 killings in the city.

Its just odd how our wonderful technology has blessed us, but also cursed us in a way. Its also quite revealing how dependant we truly are on electricity. People are not as close as the once were.

I dont have much good advice for this experience except this; Take a moment once in awhile and think about things. Also, keep an eye out for when you can help your neighbor.

3 Comments:

Blogger Manny said...

Oh I forgot, the electricity came back on 2-3 hours later, cause unknown.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Manny said...

You know, thats a good idea, the annual "no power day". But gosh that would be hard! :-)

1:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vanguard of Vengeance??? What is that...a support group for chronic, habitual masturbators????

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home